[OLSR-users] Re: OLSRd configuration with multiple channels

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa (spam-protected)
Sun Aug 14 18:32:11 CEST 2005

Hi!

Thanks for your answer, it has been very helpfull.

Dan Flett wrote:

> [...]
No, definetly I don't want to spent that amount of money.  And I guess
that I'll need to omni in order to implement "hotspots" (but I can use
Ad-Hoc and OLSR there too, so I don't think this make that much sense).
Anyway, I was planning to put the omni at the top of the mast and the
directional about 15cm below, so that the omni would end behind and
above the panels (one radio to the pannels, the other to the omni).

The panels are 14dBi, HyperLink.  The omni would be about 8 to 9dBi, the
panels and the omni would be horizontally polarized.

I thought to use channel 1 and 4 because the channels from 6,8 and 10
are all used by people that must be crazy: they are using 1W amplifiers
all over the place (plus the antenna, I saw one and was a 19dBi grid),
and there is one that is using 4W (yes, they must be crazy) with a 8dBi
omni (in the city), and they have more repeaters in places nearby to
where I'll put mines (I don't have much to choose from :( ).  If I do a
scan with a 3dBi omni almost anywhere in the city, I always see their
SSIDs (yes, even indoors)

So, I can't even think about using channels 5 to 11.  And, I can't buy
filters, because if somebody else starts using the same channels as me,
I would not be able to switch channels easily (and they are not cheap).
I thought about 802.11a, but the range would be too short.

I'm about to say: to hell with range and speed, I'll just put a three
way splitter and put all the antennas to one radio.  What do you think?
the only problem is that I don't want to put amplifiers, and then I may
need to add a 250mW amplifier.  That's also why I thought about the two
cards: because the card is cheaper than the amplifier ;) .

Yes, I know this all sounds very messed up, but I have not much
experience with this kind of configuration, this far I had only
installed WDS with APs, and all of that was on the same channel, but I
really liked OLSR, and I liked the two channels idea at first.

Once again, thanks for your help,

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo.