[OLSR-users] RE: OLSRd configuration with multiple channels

Dan Flett (spam-protected)
Sat Aug 13 07:41:16 CEST 2005

Yeah, those splitters such as the ones from Hyperlink can only be used at
the antenna end - They split one high-power RF feed into two antennas.  Keep
in mind that if you split an RF signal you half the signal strength to each
antenna - so each antenna will effectively be attenuated by 3dB.

If you want to combine the signals from two radios into one cable you need
to use an RF diplexer or multiplexer like this one:
http://www.rflinx.com/Filters/2400-UHQ-DIPLXR.htm

They are specially tuned for channels 1 and 11 - you set one radio to
channel 1 and plug it into the channel 1 connector and the same for the
other radio on channel 11.  They are especially designed so that the RF from
one radio does not get pumped straight into the other radio.  If you want to
have two radios (or more) plugged into an omnidirectional antenna at the
same location, using a multiplexer is the preferred method.  If you have two
omnis on similar frequencies sitting next to each other they will suffer
from a lot of cross-talk.  Using a diplexer will solve this problem as both
radios will be able to share the same antenna.

At US$700, these babies ain't cheap.  But I doubt you'll find a proper
2.4GHz diplexer for much cheaper.  A knowledgeable radio amateur would
probably be able to build one though.

So Jose, you could achieve the setup you desire - with a diplexer at the
radio end and a splitter at the antenna end.  But are you willing to spend
that amount of money?

Cheers,

Dan