[OLSR-users] OLSRd configuration with multiple channels

aaron (spam-protected)
Fri Aug 12 22:12:54 CEST 2005

I am just repeating now what people told me again and again:
never attach the cable output of one antenna to the input of another
directly. the receiver is quite sensitive.

so a simple T connector for me sounds like just that: problems :)

> Cool.  One more question on this: I plan to implement that like this:
>
> Card1--"out1"--+                     +--"out1"--Antenna1
>               +-single LMR400 cable-+
> Card2--"out2"--+                     +--"out2"--Antenna2
>
> Sorry about the poor ascii art :( .  In that graph there are two
> splitters, one acting as a mixer, and the other splitting.  Will that
> work? (I have never done anything like that).  Each of the antennas will
> be about 120º apart (they are 14º panels).  There may be a third antenna
if you can describe "mixer" and splitter in more detail i - maybe
- could answer. but i am not a 100% pro on physical signal stuff (layer 1,2)

> for "local" coverage.  well, I'll not redact all of that again, here is
> the question I asked in another group (still no answer from them, and I
> want to double check this).
>
> Antenna1 will be "aiming" to one node that is located at one moutain,
> say, 150º east of true north, and the other to another node that is
> located at another moutain, say, 274º east of true north. Each
> antenna will be a 14dBi pannel.
>
> At the "repeater" nodes I'll have the same configuration, two antennas
> (in that case two 14dBi 90º Horizontal polarization sector
> antennas,90º one from the other), two wireless card, "mixed" into a
> single cable, then splitted into two antennas.
>
> What I'm assuming is that, provided that the channels are suficently
> separated (say, channel 1 and channel 4) I'll have the output from the
> two cards into the two antennas, and I'll have the reception from any
> antenna into the two cards. Is this correct?. What I want to do is
> to use one channel for "upstream" and the other for "downstram".
>
> Also, what would happend If I have, say, one panel and one omni
> antenna (the omni in the "back" and over the omni, at least one feet
> above (30cm)), I assume that they will see each other, but.... will
> there be any "bizzare" interference like a feedback, something like a
> "reflection". The panel and the omni will be horizontally polarized
>
> Well, the omni will be there only if I can build those slotted
> waveguide omnis :-S (I want to build the 8 slots per side version,
> wich I think that will have enough vertical beam width (can anybody
> confirm this?)), does anybody knows another horizontal or circular
> polarized omni?, with at least 7dBi gain and a beamwith of at least
> 15º (adding the up and down, ie, 7.5º up, 7.5º down, something like that).
>

> >>ie, when one channel is busy, will try the other?  What would happend if
> >>

> >olsrd will try to select the "best" channel.
> >I guess you actually want to do channel "bonding" (i think there is
> >even a kernel config for that in the linux kernel.
> >it definetely exists in openBSD)
> >

> Maybe, but will olsr work with non-wireless interfaces?  If yes, can I
> have "local network" nodes plus the wireless ones? if yes: wow!

yes, olsrd is level 3
yes, it is wow :)

cheers,
aaron.