[OLSR-users] OLSRd configuration with multiple channels

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa (spam-protected)
Fri Aug 12 21:37:24 CEST 2005

Hi!

Thanks for your fast answer.

aaron wrote:

>hi!
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>Can I configure olsrd to use multiple channels, ie, have two wireless
>>cards in different channels and have olsrd to use them both as a single
>>mesh?  I want to deploy a large area mesh, but with little users :( ,
>>so, I would like to install two repeaters (two olsr nodes) at two
>>moutains (one at the north west, and the other at the south east :) ),
>>and want each of them to be at different channels (because they could
>>see each other, and I guess that the network could become slower if that
>>happend).
>>
>>How would the protocol behave it this case?, will it use both channels,
>>

>sure no problem. just use 2 wlan adapters, one is on channel A and the other on channel B. Then add two interface sections in /etc/olsrd.conf
>it works!

Cool.  One more question on this: I plan to implement that like this:

Card1--"out1"--+                     +--"out1"--Antenna1
               +-single LMR400 cable-+
Card2--"out2"--+                     +--"out2"--Antenna2

Sorry about the poor ascii art :( .  In that graph there are two
splitters, one acting as a mixer, and the other splitting.  Will that
work? (I have never done anything like that).  Each of the antennas will
be about 120º apart (they are 14º panels).  There may be a third antenna
for "local" coverage.  well, I'll not redact all of that again, here is
the question I asked in another group (still no answer from them, and I
want to double check this).

Antenna1 will be "aiming" to one node that is located at one moutain,
say, 150º east of true north, and the other to another node that is
located at another moutain, say, 274º east of true north. Each
antenna will be a 14dBi pannel.

At the "repeater" nodes I'll have the same configuration, two antennas
(in that case two 14dBi 90º Horizontal polarization sector
antennas,90º one from the other), two wireless card, "mixed" into a
single cable, then splitted into two antennas.

What I'm assuming is that, provided that the channels are suficently
separated (say, channel 1 and channel 4) I'll have the output from the
two cards into the two antennas, and I'll have the reception from any
antenna into the two cards. Is this correct?. What I want to do is
to use one channel for "upstream" and the other for "downstram".

Also, what would happend If I have, say, one panel and one omni
antenna (the omni in the "back" and over the omni, at least one feet
above (30cm)), I assume that they will see each other, but.... will
there be any "bizzare" interference like a feedback, something like a
"reflection". The panel and the omni will be horizontally polarized

Well, the omni will be there only if I can build those slotted
waveguide omnis :-S (I want to build the 8 slots per side version,
wich I think that will have enough vertical beam width (can anybody
confirm this?)), does anybody knows another horizontal or circular
polarized omni?, with at least 7dBi gain and a beamwith of at least
15º (adding the up and down, ie, 7.5º up, 7.5º down, something like that).

>>ie, when one channel is busy, will try the other?  What would happend if
>>

>olsrd will try to select the "best" channel.
>I guess you actually want to do channel "bonding" (i think there is
>even a kernel config for that in the linux kernel.
>it definetely exists in openBSD)

Maybe, but will olsr work with non-wireless interfaces?  If yes, can I
have "local network" nodes plus the wireless ones? if yes: wow!

>in that case, olsrd will use the single virtual bonding device and transmit
>via both.
>

>>both repeaters use two channels and them both see each other?  The other
>>nodes will see these two repeaters via directional antennas, some nodes
>>will see each other and there will be a couple of movile nodes.
>>
>>Sorry if there are too many questions, I'm not sure if I'm asking this
>>correctly, but I have lot of questions,
>>

>hope it helped.

Sure it has! Thanks!