[OLSR-users] Few Q's about olsrd

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Thu Sep 2 12:56:10 CEST 2004

Oops... I forgot to cc this to the list. Sorry about that.

Sent Thu, September 2, 2004 8:44 am:

Hi,

My comments are inline.

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004, Jeromie Reeves wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am interested in olsrd. I noticed there is a windows version
> available as
> well.
> There does not seam to have been any development since 7-26-04 (I
> very well
> may be missing it). Anyone running the windows version? If so, does
> it run
> on
> any interface (wired or wireless) or does it need certain hardware?
> How
> would

There has been quite some work on the windows version lately, it will
be part of the 0.4.6 release available soon. And IMO 7-26-04 is not
_that_ long ago ;-)

> you rate your experience with it? I also see there is a Linksys WRT
> version.
> I assume (but rather dislike to) that all OS ports of the same
> version work
> together? Any known bugs, conflicts or other issues? Does olsrd run
> on any

The ports should worktogether without any problems. Actually, any
RFC3626
compliant implementation should work with olsrd.

> other consumer gear (aside from a PC) or has ports to other embedded
> OSes?

If it runs a Linux kernel it will run olsrd. The only "requirement" is
the pthreads library. Olsrd is running on iPaqs, WRT54G accresspoints,
meshcubes and so on...

> I was looking at PC Engines WRAP and Soekris boards for full time
> AP's and
> possibly user machines (windows mostly) as clients to said ap's with
> them
> only
> becoming active if a AP goes off-line for some reason. How well (or
> does)
> olsr
> work when you give it two wireless interface's? In example, you put
> a 11b
> and
> 11a card in 1 unit and wish for the 11a card to be the higher
> priority
> route to the
> Internet. Does OLSR work fine or would it be best to combine BGP or
> OSPF
> with

Olsrd works fine using multiple interfaces. However, there have been
reports of problems using multiple wireless interfaces that are on the
"same link"(same freq, essid, enc).
Traffic shaping has to be done by some other mechanism.

> it? I have many many questions but lacking hands on makes it hard to
> know
> what
> to ask. I plan to obtain 4 or 5 WRT's and see what happens. Assuming
> you
> have a
> WRT in use, How does it work for you and have/will you mix the
> windows
> version
> in with them?

It has worked fine for me - any other users with experiences?

- Andreas

--
Andreas Tønnesen((spam-protected))
http://www.olsr.org