[OLSR-users] Few Q's about olsrd

Jeromie Reeves (spam-protected)
Fri Sep 3 07:09:51 CEST 2004

At 12:50 PM 9/2/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Jeromie.
>
>Actually since July 26 there has been more Windows development than ever
>before. :-) It's just not officially available, yet. We've been busy
>cleaning up the preliminary Windows code and making it an official part
>of the main distribution of olsrd. I've updated the website of the
>preliminary Windows port to send people directly to olsr.org. Version
>0.4.6 will be the first official Windows release and probably be
>available within the next few days.

Thank you for the development. I have setup the channel #olsr on
irc.freenode.net
incase anyone would like to do live chat. If the channel is used then good,
if not,
no loss.

>The Windows version works with any network interface, wireless or wired,
>it does not need any special hardware.

In the case of wireless cards on windows, how does windows talk to another
windows card that is in client infrastructure mode, or does it require ad-hoc
mode?

>Well, at the moment it still looks pretty Unixish, i.e. it has to be run
>from the command prompt. I'm currently working on an installer and on
>making it a service on NT-based operating systems.

Looking Unixish is ok by me. A NT service would be nice. If you need/want
help with a installer I can lend what experience I have.

>Moreover, it lacks some of the features that the Linux version has. Most
>notably support for IPv6, which I am also currently working on.
>
>I've had the chance to test and debug the Windows version in a mixed
>Linux/Windows network and the two versions seem to get along pretty well.
>
>Although the Windows version looks stable and feedback for the
>preliminary port has been encouraging, the Windows version is still not
>very widely used and thus not as well-tested and probably not as
>reliable as the Linux version.

That is to be expected. Many thanks for the work so far and TIA for the
future work.

Jeromie Reeves