[OLSR-users] Some updated on 0.4.4

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Thu May 6 18:10:23 CEST 2004

Hi Alex,

Security is not my area of expertise - but here are my comments.

First of all, I do agree that a certificate solution would probably be
better in many ways. But the MANET is supposed to be without any kind of
centrelaized services and IMO this kind of break with that
philosophy(atleast of you demand the rootCA to always be reachable for
revocation lists, initial signing etc.). There are many questions that
must be answered for scenarioes with rootCAs. Who is to decide who
should be the rootCA? Should one operate with backup/reelection of
rootCAs if the rootCA node looses connection? What kind of process
should lead to a revocation/issuing of a sertificate?
If there is to be no dynamic in the scenario(eg. revocation/issuing)
then why not just have a fixed database of public keys and go for a
assymetric signing scenario?

I can see scenarios where a shared key can be used. As an example a
shared key could e.g. be saved into a SIM card that does the actual
signing so that the key never leaves the card, which all users insert
into their nodesand which could be replaced on a daily basis.

But ofacuse - a shared key is probably no optimal solution and the
secure OLSR solution is going to support(but not yet implement) all
different kind of encryption/signing schemes due to a flexible message
header. So in future versions a sertificate solution might be
implemented - but there are just so much more work that has to be done
in addition to the signing/timestamp exchange proccess for such a
solution to work.

regards,
Andreas

--