[OLSR-users] Some updated on 0.4.4

John Gorkos (spam-protected)
Thu May 6 17:18:07 CEST 2004

I've been thinking about security plugins, too, and I'd like to throw my
thoughts into the mix.
  In my opinion, the MANET is a means to an end, not the end itself.  Most
users of the MANET aren't interested in using the MANET, they're interested
in getting their email from hotmail.com, their news from CNN, and (for the
geeks), their geek update from slashdot.  They would like for these
transactions to be secured over the air, but they really aren't concerned
with the methodology.
  To this ends, it seems that what the users really want is end-to-end
encryption between their MANET node and the network gateway which is routing
their traffic onto the Internet.  Encryption that works regardless of the
path taken to get to that gateway (making IPSEC a non-starter).
  I see little need to encrypt or obfuscate the actual intra-MANET traffic.
Almost all of that traffic is going to be nothing more than OLSR traffic,
routing updates, and administrative traffic to maintain the MANET.  As long
as a secure (TLS) connection is used to protect the configuration passwords
and settings of the devices which make up the MANET (in the case of a MANET
with fixed assets as well as mobile assets), who cares if you can sniff the
traffic between two points.
  My solution has been to make sure that each gateway on the MANET is capable
of terminating some form of encrypted P-t-P tunnel with nodes in the MANET.
Currently, my MANET only has one gateway, so I make it easy by telling every
node that it needs to establish a P-t-P VPN tunnel with a given gateway
machine, using a static IP address.  What I envision, though, is a daemon
that will tear down and reestablish the VPN connection whenever the default
gateway changes through OLSR.
  An example of this would be a neighborhood MANET, with several members of
the net providing broadband connections from their homes.  Some folks have
DSL, some ISDN, and some cable.  Each gateway node, regardless of it internet
connection type, has the same VPN server on it.  As a
bicyclist/pedestrian/mobile node moves through the neighborhood, their
default route will change to whichever gateway is closest.  In my world, the
OLSR daemon would signal the VPN tunnel client that the default gw has
changed, and the daemon would tear down the old VPN connection and start a
new connection with the closer gateway.
  The real reason I'm doing this is to promote a subscriber model of MANET
participation.  If you are a subscriber, you get a certificate signed by my
root CA.  If you have the certificate, you can build a VPN tunnel to one of
the gateways.  The gateways are configured such that ONLY traffic coming from
a VPN tunnel is allowed through router onto the Internet.  It does require a
root CA (something I realize Andreas is opposed to), but that could live
anywhere on the Internet (or on whatever private backbone network that each
of the gateways is hooked to:  imagine a series of gateways connected to a
SONET ring in a metropolitan area...).  I suppose I could even establish more
VPN tunnels between the gateways and the central CA to ensure my intra-net
administration traffic is secure.  Anyone can become a member of the MANET
without a certificate:  I'd always welcome more nodes to make the mesh more
robust, but without a subscriber agreement and a certificate, you can't GO
anywhere off the MANET.
  Thoughts?  I've got the first half of this system already implemented using
a fixed VPN server address.  It would actually even work with multiple
gateways, assuming all gateways could see the VPN server.  I could put the
VPN server in a co-lo facility with an OC3 and VPN all MANET->internet
traffic through my server there, and then on to the internet.  The only price
of this is I'm paying twice for traffic into the co-lo site:  once as it
comes in via the tunnel, once as it goes back out on to the internet.  return
traffic has the same path:  it comes to the server at the co-lo, where it is
encrypted and sent to the MANET back over the same wire.
  Programatically, all I really need now is a plugin that notices when the
default gateway changes and triggers a restart of the vpn client, with the
new gateway as the server.  A little more intelligence would be nice:  if the
new gateway doesn't have a VPN server running, revert to the previous server.
This would prevent the rogue-node problem where someone with a grudge and an
OSLR daemon says "I've got your default route, baby" and then routes you to
their /dev/null device.

John Gorkos