[OLSR-users] Wired Ethernet really isn't

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Wed May 5 18:07:36 CEST 2004

Hi John,

I'm not 100% sure I understand your problem... But I reckon you've got a
setup like: br0(bridge)with connected interfaces wlan0 and eth0. I have
no experience using olsrd on bridge devices(if that is what you are
doing) but I guess it can cause great trouble due to the binding of
sockets to devices in olsrd.
You should always run olsrd on the actual interface(not a alias or
bridge or tunnel etc.). So in this cause you should use wlan0 and and
eth0 directly.

However - if you just want non-wlan interfaces to act as wlan interfaces
you just set the NWMULTI option in the configfile to 1. But this should
have no effect on wether or not the node is seen by other nodes.

When I run olsrd on the WRT54G (which I gues is the device used ;-) ) I
set the actual interfaces up with IP addresses(and I have disabled the
bridge between the switch and the wlan interface) and run olsrd on the
interfaces directly. This works fine.

Finally a tip to WRT54G uses using OpenWrt. When configuring the wlan
interfaces give iwconfig ALL options at the same line! On my box
atleast, the interface is not updated unless this is done(even though
iwconfig reports the new values). Took me some hours to figure out :-(

regards,
Andreas

John Gorkos wrote:
> Andreas/group-
>   I've got a wired ethernet card plugged directly into a wireless bridge in
> ad-hoc mode, meaning I want olsrd to treat it as a wireless interface, but
> since there are no wireless extensions on the interface, olsrd treats it as a
> wired interface.  The end result is that remote stations in the mesh never
> see the wireless bridge/router as a link partner, even though it is.  Of
> course, the wireless bridge/router combo sees all the other nodes in the
> network immediately.
>   Very occassionally the router/bridge will get seen by remote nodes, but the
> HELLO will almost immediately timeout and they'll lose interest in the bridge
> as a link partner.
>
> The question is, how do I fake the funk in the olsrd.conf to convince olsrd to
> treat eth1 (in this case) as a wireless interface instead of a wired
> interface?
>
> Thanks!
> John Gorkos

Andreas Tønnesen((spam-protected))