[Olsr-dev] 'debian/' folder should not be included in release tarballs!

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Wed May 22 22:15:44 CEST 2013

On 05/22/2013 05:17 AM, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On 05/22/2013 11:11 AM, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
>> On Die, 2013-05-21 at 18:49 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> [....]
>>> Any honestly, the best solution would be to just remove the debian/ folder
>>> entirely.  It hasn't been updated since 2010.
>>
>> IIRC we added it on request of the Debian packager to help/ease/... the
>> package maintenance and it was - of course - to be maintained by the
>> Debian packager
>
> And it helps people who want to build a current debian file directly from our
> repository.

It doesn't really, because its out of date.  It really serves to confuse
people who want to build the Debian package, but it looks like the right
thing, but then won't work right.  We have made a lot of improvements on the
Debian packaging since 2010, and olsrd has changed as well.

>> (as I'm more in the RedHat/Fedora packager world and put
>> an olsrd.spec file for my own convenience in so that `rpm -ta
>> olsrd-*.tar.gz` plain simply worked).
>> I didn't and don't know enough on Debian package maintenance
>> "procedures"/best practices to decide if these directories (and files)
>> should be upstream or not.
>> But if that is upstream, it should (read: must;-) come from the official
>> downstream maintainer (if only that he may avoid to run his own repo -
>> that may not be a inconvenience with `git` or `hg` but with `cvs` or
>> `svn` it definitely is).
>
> I just looked through our tarballs, the /debian directory has been in the
> tarballs for some time, did something changed on the debian side that makes it
> a problem now?
>
> Henning Rogge

I don't remember, but I do know that if the debian/ folder was not included in
the release tarballs, 0.6.5.4 would already be in Debian as of today.

.hc