[Olsr-dev] 'debian/' folder should not be included in release tarballs!

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed May 22 11:17:15 CEST 2013

On 05/22/2013 11:11 AM, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> On Die, 2013-05-21 at 18:49 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> [....]
>> Any honestly, the best solution would be to just remove the debian/ folder
>> entirely.  It hasn't been updated since 2010.
>
> IIRC we added it on request of the Debian packager to help/ease/... the
> package maintenance and it was - of course - to be maintained by the
> Debian packager

And it helps people who want to build a current debian file directly
from our repository.

 > (as I'm more in the RedHat/Fedora packager world and put
> an olsrd.spec file for my own convenience in so that `rpm -ta
> olsrd-*.tar.gz` plain simply worked).
> I didn't and don't know enough on Debian package maintenance
> "procedures"/best practices to decide if these directories (and files)
> should be upstream or not.
> But if that is upstream, it should (read: must;-) come from the official
> downstream maintainer (if only that he may avoid to run his own repo -
> that may not be a inconvenience with `git` or `hg` but with `cvs` or
> `svn` it definitely is).

I just looked through our tarballs, the /debian directory has been in
the tarballs for some time, did something changed on the debian side
that makes it a problem now?

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE