[Olsr-dev] reduce OLSR bandwidth by tuning emission intervals

Clauz (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 1 12:33:07 CET 2013

Hi.
What I see is that TCs, HNAs and MIDs are not forwarded immediately but
delayed until the next HELLO emission, like you can see in this trace
[*]. The network setup is the following:

n0 -- n1 -- n2 -- n3

OLSR setup:
n0 is a non-OLSR host and n1 announces the subnet containing n0 via HNA.
The emission intervals and validity times on n1 are at the default
values, while the emission intervals and validity times on n2 and n3 are
multiplied x15.

IP addresses:
n0: 10.0.0.1
n1: 10.0.0.2, 10.0.1.1
n2: 10.0.1.2, 10.0.2.1
n3: 10.0.2.2

In the trace, packets from n2 (10.0.2.1) contain messages from n1
(10.0.1.1) that, according to your message below, should have been
forwarded almost immediately. Instead these are delayed until (roughly)
the next HELLO emission interval.

This tarball [^] contains the netkit network emulator "lab" that I used,
including the complete configuration files.

cheers!
Clauz

[*] http://zumbi.netgroup.uniroma2.it/~clauz/tmp/bigemission3.pcap
[^] http://zumbi.netgroup.uniroma2.it/~clauz/tmp/netkitolsrd_emission.tar.gz