[Olsr-dev] Integration of multicast plugins

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 2 08:29:53 CEST 2013

On 04/01/2013 10:47 PM, Dan Staples wrote:
> Some weeks ago I emailed the list about a plugin I put together (dnssd),
> which was built on top of the p2pd plugin. In response, several people
> expressed a desire to have all of the multicast plugins consolidated
> into one, instead of accepting a new plugin. I wanted to check in again
> to see what that consolidated plugin might look like.
>
> It seems like there are two main sources for multicast forwarding in
> olsrd: the bmf plugin, and the mdns->p2pd->dnssd lineage of plugins.

I don't think this is correct.

mdns is (or was?) a simplified copy of bmf, both are using "dense mode
multicast", similar to the SMF protocol.

p2pd (and maybe dnssd?) are using "sparse mode multicast" according to
my knowledge.

> Is
> there any preference for either one? Are there any features of these
> that should or should not be included? The features I added in the dnssd
> plugin are only applicable to someone using Avahi, and so those could be
> optionally turned on or off depending on the plugin configuration, if it
> is decided to go with mdns/p2pd/dnssd.
>
> Also, would it be a requirement to not use any external libraries, to
> make it as portable as possible?

Not sure multicast plugins are portable anyways, because the kernel
interface to do multicast is very OS specifc.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE