[Olsr-dev] Integration of multicast plugins

Dan Staples (spam-protected)
Tue Apr 2 14:52:46 CEST 2013

On Tue 02 Apr 2013 02:29:53 AM EDT, Henning Rogge wrote:

> On 04/01/2013 10:47 PM, Dan Staples wrote:
>>
>> Some weeks ago I emailed the list about a plugin I put together (dnssd),
>> which was built on top of the p2pd plugin. In response, several people
>> expressed a desire to have all of the multicast plugins consolidated
>> into one, instead of accepting a new plugin. I wanted to check in again
>> to see what that consolidated plugin might look like.
>>
>> It seems like there are two main sources for multicast forwarding in
>> olsrd: the bmf plugin, and the mdns->p2pd->dnssd lineage of plugins.
>

> I don't think this is correct.
>
> mdns is (or was?) a simplified copy of bmf, both are using "dense mode
> multicast", similar to the SMF protocol.
>
> p2pd (and maybe dnssd?) are using "sparse mode multicast" according to
> my knowledge.

I see. The p2pd README didn't mention that, just that it was based off
mdns with some added improvements, so I figured they were more closely
related.

>> Is
>> there any preference for either one? Are there any features of these
>> that should or should not be included? The features I added in the dnssd
>> plugin are only applicable to someone using Avahi, and so those could be
>> optionally turned on or off depending on the plugin configuration, if it
>> is decided to go with mdns/p2pd/dnssd.
>>
>> Also, would it be a requirement to not use any external libraries, to
>> make it as portable as possible?
>

> Not sure multicast plugins are portable anyways, because the kernel
> interface to do multicast is very OS specifc.
True, the current plugins all stipulate they are only for linux.

So is there still a desire to consolidate the multicast plugins, or is
it useful to have multiple ones that use dense mode multicast and sparse
mode multicast?