[Olsr-dev] olsrd-extension to spread database trough the net

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Oct 31 08:54:20 CET 2012

On 10/31/2012 08:20 AM, Teco Boot wrote:

> Op 31 okt. 2012, om 07:49 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende
> geschreven:
>
>> On 10/30/2012 09:54 PM, Teco Boot wrote:
>>> Maybe an API for message distribution could be the way forward.
>>> This is more efficient than multicast (like BMF). mdns / p2pd
>>> are examples. pud is another.
>>
>> Why is this more efficient than multicast?
>
> - message aggregation into single packet, so less headers - jitter,
> reduction of collisions
>
> Currently we don't have selective multicast forwarding. BMF is
> broadcasting. Pseudo-broadcast to few neighbors with high rate
> unicast would have better performance and reliability than flooding.
> Message flooding is more efficient than multicast in the mentioned
> examples. Maybe not always.
>
> I would like integration of mdns, p2pd and bmf in a single plugin,
> where a packet filter engine can direct packet processing, e.g. BMF
> style *or* distribution with messages. Could / should be a separate
> deamon, as discussed some time ago. Something for after v2.

So the short term solution would be plugins for OLSRd, but the long term
solution would be to have a multicast support that allows configurable
aggregation/jitter per multicast group ?

I wonder if we could use the "openvswitch" kernel module for a more
efficient multicast implementation.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE