[Olsr-dev] olsrd-extension to spread database trough the net

Teco Boot (spam-protected)
Wed Oct 31 11:05:59 CET 2012

Op 31 okt. 2012, om 08:54 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende geschreven:

> On 10/31/2012 08:20 AM, Teco Boot wrote:
>>
>> Op 31 okt. 2012, om 07:49 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende
>> geschreven:

>>> Why is this more efficient than multicast?
>>
>> - message aggregation into single packet, so less headers - jitter,
>> reduction of collisions
>>
>> Currently we don't have selective multicast forwarding. BMF is
>> broadcasting. Pseudo-broadcast to few neighbors with high rate
>> unicast would have better performance and reliability than flooding.
>> Message flooding is more efficient than multicast in the mentioned
>> examples. Maybe not always.
>>
>> I would like integration of mdns, p2pd and bmf in a single plugin,
>> where a packet filter engine can direct packet processing, e.g. BMF
>> style *or* distribution with messages. Could / should be a separate
>> deamon, as discussed some time ago. Something for after v2.
>
> So the short term solution would be plugins for OLSRd, but the long term
> solution would be to have a multicast support that allows configurable
> aggregation/jitter per multicast group ?
Sounds good.
We have to take a look to SMF also. And maybe to separate distribution trees, if standards for such become available.

> I wonder if we could use the "openvswitch" kernel module for a more efficient multicast implementation.
Me too :-)
Or whatever what is available. The mcastd or mcast kernel module would be compatible with other protocols.

Teco