[Olsr-dev] olsrd-extension to spread database trough the net

Teco Boot (spam-protected)
Wed Oct 31 08:20:00 CET 2012

Op 31 okt. 2012, om 07:49 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende geschreven:

> On 10/30/2012 09:54 PM, Teco Boot wrote:
>> Maybe an API for message distribution could be the way forward. This
>> is more efficient than multicast (like BMF). mdns / p2pd are
>> examples. pud is another.
>
> Why is this more efficient than multicast?

 - message aggregation into single packet, so less headers
 - jitter, reduction of collisions

Currently we don't have selective multicast forwarding. BMF is broadcasting.
Pseudo-broadcast to few neighbors with high rate unicast would have better performance and reliability than flooding.
Message flooding is more efficient than multicast in the mentioned examples. Maybe not always.

I would like integration of mdns, p2pd and bmf in a single plugin, where a packet filter engine can direct packet processing, e.g. BMF style *or* distribution with messages. Could / should be a separate deamon, as discussed some time ago. Something for after v2.

Teco