[Olsr-dev] olsr polling/threading/mainloop/scheduler

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 30 16:07:49 CEST 2012

I think its "polling", but its just polling every 50 ms
(configurable), so its not busy waiting. It should not do much to the
power consumption.

The scheduler in the new "olsr framework" can sleep arbitrary times,
so its not polling at all anymore.

Henning

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 17:00, Ferry Huberts <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've been looking at the scheduler in the current olsr version, stable
> branch.
>
> I've seen that the mainloop uses polling of sockets and timers.
> I can understand that this design came from the strong desire of not have
> threading.
>
> However,...
>
> This setup is killing w.r.t power consumption, and performance too (!)
>
> I propose to have olsr v2 be exclusively event-driven and to use _no_
> polling at all.
> This (almost automatically) also means that threading will be introduced.
>

> I can help out with the design.
>

> Thoughts?
>

> --
> Ferry Huberts

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."