[Olsr-dev] olsr polling/threading/mainloop/scheduler

Ferry Huberts (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 30 16:19:01 CEST 2012

On 30-03-12 16:07, Henning Rogge wrote:
> I think its "polling", but its just polling every 50 ms
> (configurable), so its not busy waiting. It should not do much to the
> power consumption.

50ms is 20x per second.
That in practical situations means that the CPU will not go into a deep
enough power saving mode to matter w.r.t. power savings...
Which is killing if we ever want to be a real option on Android and
other battery powered devices.

> The scheduler in the new "olsr framework" can sleep arbitrary times,
> so its not polling at all anymore.
>
> Henning
>
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 17:00, Ferry Huberts<(spam-protected)>  wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I've been looking at the scheduler in the current olsr version, stable
>> branch.
>>
>> I've seen that the mainloop uses polling of sockets and timers.
>> I can understand that this design came from the strong desire of not have
>> threading.
>>
>> However,...
>>
>> This setup is killing w.r.t power consumption, and performance too (!)
>>
>> I propose to have olsr v2 be exclusively event-driven and to use _no_
>> polling at all.
>> This (almost automatically) also means that threading will be introduced.
>>

>> I can help out with the design.
>>

>> Thoughts?
>>

>> --
>> Ferry Huberts