[Olsr-dev] olsr strange behaving / nearly no outgoing packets / patched olsrd

Ferry Huberts (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 29 16:04:17 CEST 2012

On 29-06-12 15:55, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 29-06-12 13:58, Henning Rogge wrote:
>> Lets continue this discussion we started last week...
>>

> Ok.
> Hold on...
>
> Let's 'kill' the master branch as it is now.
> It's been 'dead' for a long time.
>
> Best way to do this it to rename it to something like 'experimental' (I
> don't know a good name, so if someone comes up with one...)
>
> Then we rename stable to master.
>
> Under git conventions:
> - master is used to work towards the next release
> - releases are tagged
> - branches are to be used for features of which it has not been decided
> that they need to be in the next release, or for features that take more
> time or pose a risk to destabalising or delaying the next release
>

>> Fact 1: we need a "more stable" stable branch.

this is normally solved by branching from released versions and
cherry-picking fixes on those maintenance branches. we can do something
like that as well, but it's more overhead since we'd then have to
maintain a few releases at the same time.

for example:
- we tag 0.7
- we branch v0.7 from 0.7
- we continue work on master, toward 0.8
- we cherry-pick fixes from master onto v0.7
- we can release 0.7.x from the v0.7 branch, and tag these releases
- ad nauseum

> why?
> tags are to point at stable points.
>
> we should release more often
>
>> Fact 2: we need a place where it is easy for people to commit new stuff.
>
> that would be on the master branch
>
> or on feature branches
>
>> Fact 3: the development branch is dead (only useful for archive purpose).
>
> that would be the current stable / new master
>

>> Any disagreement with this three "facts" ?
>>

> yes, see above ;-)
>
>> Henning Rogge
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM, ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto)
>> <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>>> Because the stable branch could not be really stable, and it changes
>>> too often
>>>
>>> Saverio

>>> --

Ferry Huberts