[Olsr-dev] does the current Debian olsrd.conf work with a mesh?

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 28 21:18:08 CEST 2012

On 06/28/2012 03:06 PM, Daniel Nitzpon wrote:

>>> not for them, but for others! (-;
>>>
>> How?
>
> AKAIK most mesh networks tend to have the problem that it's too easy to
> connect to them rather than too difficult.
>
> We often have "black holes" resulting from HNA or firewall
> misconfiguration, that attract all traffic e.g. going out to the
> internet but then drop the packets instead of forwarding them.
> In similar ways double use of IP adresses, malfunctioning drivers, too
> high tx power settings etc. can render a mesh network unusable in practice.
> The problem is in general that a user can ruin the network for all the
> others, in the worst case without even noticing anything himself. If you
> don't have any contact details of this user then, you're f**ed.
>
> I like the idea of having out-of-the-box connectivity to local meshes a
> lot, but this is definitely something that (if doable at all) needs a
> much more holistic approach than sensible olsrd.conf defaults.

Thanks, that was a useful description.  I think I'll go back to my
original idea with is and make the default setup have sensible defaults
in olsrd.conf then use these settings for the adhoc setup:

SSID: olsr.org
BSSID: cc:cc:cc:cc:cc:cc
channel: 7
ip address: 172.29.x.x with x being the last digits of the MAC
netmask 255.255.0.0
Ip4Broadcast          255.255.255.255
LinkQualityFishEye 1
LinkQualityAlgorithm "etx_ff"

This will let people easily start a mesh with whoever is nearby, but
make it harder for them to inadvertently connect to a mesh and mess it
up.  Do the above settings make sense?  I think "Ip4Broadcast
255.255.255.255" and the use of InterfaceDefaults are the only changes
from the previous olsrd.conf that was included, besides text formatting.

.hc