[Olsr-dev] does the current Debian olsrd.conf work with a mesh?

Daniel Nitzpon (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 28 21:06:04 CEST 2012

Am 28.06.2012 20:38, schrieb Hans-Christoph Steiner:
> On 06/28/2012 02:34 PM, Markus Kittenberger wrote:
>>>
>>> As for wireless hardware with bad ad-hoc support, this script isn't
>>> going to make things worse for them.
>>
>> not for them, but for others! (-;
>>
> How?

AKAIK most mesh networks tend to have the problem that it's too easy to
connect to them rather than too difficult.

We often have "black holes" resulting from HNA or firewall
misconfiguration, that attract all traffic e.g. going out to the
internet but then drop the packets instead of forwarding them.
In similar ways double use of IP adresses, malfunctioning drivers, too
high tx power settings etc. can render a mesh network unusable in practice.
The problem is in general that a user can ruin the network for all the
others, in the worst case without even noticing anything himself. If you
don't have any contact details of this user then, you're f**ed.

I like the idea of having out-of-the-box connectivity to local meshes a
lot, but this is definitely something that (if doable at all) needs a
much more holistic approach than sensible olsrd.conf defaults.

Greetz,
Daniel