[Olsr-dev] does the current Debian olsrd.conf work with a mesh?

Manuel Munz (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 28 20:20:05 CEST 2012

On 28.06.2012 18:43, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Is there documentation somewhere of how other people are
> assigning/generating IP addresses?
>
> .hc

most freifunk communities i know assign ip addresses from a central
database/wiki.

Another problem i see with your approach is that setting up wireless and
olsrd is not enough. One thing that comes to my mind right now is that
you also need to make sure the firewall doesn't block forwarded traffic
in the mesh. Another problem is wireless hardware that doesn't work well
with adhoc. Thats why we usually don't encourage people to run olsrd on
their end-devices but run routers instead and connect as clients to these.

Still, trying to make things as easy as possible for users is a fine
goal, but there are many things you need to consider and i don't think
that should be part of the olsrd package shipped with debian.

regards, soma