[Olsr-dev] does the current Debian olsrd.conf work with a mesh?

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 28 20:28:07 CEST 2012

On 06/28/2012 02:20 PM, Manuel Munz wrote:
> On 28.06.2012 18:43, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Is there documentation somewhere of how other people are
>> assigning/generating IP addresses?
>>
>> .hc
>>

> most freifunk communities i know assign ip addresses from a central
> database/wiki.
>
> Another problem i see with your approach is that setting up wireless and
> olsrd is not enough. One thing that comes to my mind right now is that
> you also need to make sure the firewall doesn't block forwarded traffic
> in the mesh. Another problem is wireless hardware that doesn't work well
> with adhoc. Thats why we usually don't encourage people to run olsrd on
> their end-devices but run routers instead and connect as clients to these.

My goal with this script is to get people playing around with mesh
networking, so I want to make it dead simple on a default Debian or
Ubuntu setup.  I am not trying to address every possible scenario.  For
example, if someone has setup a firewall on their Debian box, then
they'll have to figure out how that affects the mesh on their own.

As for wireless hardware with bad ad-hoc support, this script isn't
going to make things worse for them.

The goal of the Commotion project is to make workable impromptu mesh
networks, so in that case its quite different than the existing OLSR
projects like funkfeuer, freifunk, etc.

> Still, trying to make things as easy as possible for users is a fine
> goal, but there are many things you need to consider and i don't think
> that should be part of the olsrd package shipped with debian.

If the script is already included in olsrd.git/files and is unused by
default in the Debian package, what problems do you think it will cause?
 I could make a 'olsrd-scripts' package, but it would be a single
script, and the FTP masters would yell at me because the package is too
minimal.

.hc