[Olsr-dev] does the current Debian olsrd.conf work with a mesh?

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 28 18:49:56 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
(spam-protected)> wrote:

> On 06/28/2012 12:35 PM, Markus Kittenberger wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
> > (spam-protected)> wrote:

> easy
> olsrd.conf
> with

> fine,..

> >> is
> >>
> >> Why is it not a good idea?
> >

> > because you (usually) need to have an unique ip address which got
> assigned
> > to you (by the network you want to join) before starting your own olsrd.
> >
> > and as long as olsrd (or some plugin) does not handle this, (and mesh
> > networks also use this feature!) no olsrd config alone can be enough.
>
> That's something I've been scripting as well.  For Commotion, we're
> currently using an IP prefix, (i.e. 10. or 172.29.), a netmask, and then
> filling in the rest of the IP address using the last digits of the MAC
> address.  That's in the current /usr/sbin/olsrd-adhoc-setup script that
> is included in olsrd.git (in files/) and the olsrd Debian package svn
> trunk.
>
> Is there documentation somewhere of how other people are
> assigning/generating IP addresses?

Funkfeuer does this AFTER people physically showed up and proofed their
idendity.
(as we currently only use public ip-adresses in our mesh)

But this is an rare example, and does not mean an automatic join will not
be a great feature for other networks,.
Or that we in vienna could not add automatic assignment into an private
iprange for "guests".

Markus