[Olsr-dev] does the current Debian olsrd.conf work with a mesh?

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 28 17:32:35 CEST 2012

On 06/28/2012 01:50 AM, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On 06/28/2012 07:48 AM, Teco Boot wrote:
>>> Just put in the necessary values... interface names and the
>>> plugins. That should be enough for 99% of the mesh networks out
>>> there and should work well for stationary city meshs. If you want
>>> to be sure that you don't get in trouble with subnetworks, add the
>>> "IPv4Broadcast 255.255.255.255" to the interface section too.
>>>
>> How can an installer know which interface is used for OLSR? Adding
>> all is a bit to much, I think.
>>
>> For starters, a config script would be nice. Not all can handle vi.
>
> Maybe the script could give the user a list of the existing interfaces
> and the user has to select the Mesh interfaces and (optionally) the
> uplink interface.
>
> Henning Rogge

Soon, I'll be starting to work on adding OLSR mesh functionality to
NetworkManager, so you can browse and connect to OLSR meshes using the
NetworkManager CLI and GUI tools.  For now, I've added this config file
in /etc/default/olsrd:

# Defaults for olsrd initscript
# sourced by /etc/init.d/olsrd
# installed at /etc/default/olsrd by the maintainer scripts

#
# Uncomment the next line run olsrd automatically at startup
#
#START_OLSRD="YES"

#
# Uncomment the next line to force-configure the wifi interface to be setup
# for ad-hoc mode using the /usr/bin/olsrd-adhoc-setup script whenever olsrd
# is started.
#
#START_ADHOC="YES"

#
# debuglevel from 1 (=quiet) to 9 (=max debug)
# for running from init.d 0 is recommended
#
DEBUGLEVEL=0

#
# Specify the network interfaces that olsrd will run on, this will most
likely
# be your wifi interface.
#
MESH_IF=wlan0

#
# The wifi channel to setup using olsrd-adhoc-setup
#
channel=5

#
# The SSID for the mesh network to connect to using olsrd-adhoc-setup
#
ssid=commotionwireless.net

#
# The BSSID for the mesh network to connect to using olsrd-adhoc-setup
#
bssid=02:ca:ff:ee:ba:be

#
# "command-line options"
#
DAEMON_OPTS="-i $MESH_IF -d $DEBUGLEVEL"