[Olsr-dev] About RSSI using / better minstrel

Bastian Bittorf (spam-protected)
Thu Jan 5 13:08:16 CET 2012

> I think you can get the RSSI value of incoming traffic (unicast
> and
> broadcast) by station if you use netlink code and nl80211.

in chat mr. 'minstrel' fietkau pointed out, that there is no API
at the very moment for getting data from minstrel which should
change soon.

We need the effective tx_goodput, what can be e.g.

55.1mbit (MCS15/SGI/HT40) which is only
= 18% of theoretical max = 300 mbit) and
= 13% of theoretical max using netperf TCP

A fast hack could be to implement new fields in debugfs like:

/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/netdev:wlan0/stations/d8:5d:4c:d5:07:92/tx_goodput

cool would be an event based hook, so olsrd receives updates, when
minstrel detects a change (threshold based ofcourse)

at the moment we have "only" a humanreadable output at:
/sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/netdev:wlan0/stations/d8:5d:4c:d5:07:92/rc_stats

bye, bastian.