[Olsr-dev] About RSSI using / better minstrel

WANG Liangyou (spam-protected)
Wed Jan 4 09:43:09 CET 2012

Hi Bastian,
Thank you very much!

Actually in our scenario, using RSSI should be right choice, as you know
sometimes no traffic.

Hi All,
Anybody has any hints on how to implement RSSI with olsrd?

Thanks and best regards,
Leo

-----Original Message-----
From: Bastian Bittorf [mailto:(spam-protected)]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 4:31 PM
To: (spam-protected); (spam-protected)
Subject: Re: About RSSI using / better minstrel

> Such as two paramenter will be configured: rssi_low, rssi_high.
>
> If rssi on one link is more than rssi_high, then this link is active; if
> rssi on this link is less than rssi_low,

IMHO this is not a good idea:

1) a good RSSI does'nt mean that we have good speed
2) a good RSSI does'nt mean, that we find a network-path,
that fits our needs (speaking: the destination route what we
are searching for, e.g. 0.0.0.0/0 or a specific HNAx)

Better make a metric-plugin, which works like etx_ffeth,
but take the speed-values from minstrel[1] into account.

problem here: minstrel only works, if there is traffic, so a
yet unused route defaults to e.g. lowest basic-rate (1/6mbit).
a simple approach would be to generate traffic for each neighbour
when they appear initially and on regular intervals.

problem2: minstrel only exist on linux, so the others are out
(but they are out anyway... 8-)

bye, Bastian