[Olsr-dev] Repository conversion finished

John Hay (spam-protected)
Wed Aug 15 20:16:49 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 06:49:56PM +0200, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 15-08-12 18:15, Henning Rogge wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >the repository conversion is done... what does this mean?
> >
> >1.) Commits MUST go to the master branch in the future. Thats were we
> >collect fixes and new stuff.
>

> merging between branches is explicitly forbidden

If you forbid this, how do you do the next one (2.) "fix stuff"? Surely
you fix it first in the master branch? So then the fix is already under
version control and your tool (git) will make less mistakes than humans.
:-)

In FreeBSD for instance, you are not supposed to commit directly on a
branch. You commit to head (master) and after some settling time and
if it is deemed necessary, it may be merged.

> >2.) Every times we begin a new release, we create a release branch
> >called "release-x.y.z" which will get ONLY commits to fix stuff. All
> >commits done in a release branch MUST also be done in master branch
> >(to fix the same bug there), most likely by cherry-picking.
> >
> >3.) I also created the release-0.6.4 branch... so we can begin stabilizing.
> >

> >What shall a developer do (someone with a git repository) ?
> >
> >a) change to the master branch with "git checkout master"
> >b) pull changes to get the content of the most recent commit (which is
> >based on the old stable branch!) with "git pull"
> >c) remove your local stable branch with "git branch -D stable"
> >
> >What is still to be done:
> >
> >a) check if the OpenWRT makefile in the repository contains a
> >reference to "stable" and change it to "master".
> >b) stabilize 0.6.4 and release it.

John
--
John Hay -- (spam-protected) / (spam-protected)