[Olsr-dev] Repository conversion finished

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Aug 15 20:19:02 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM, John Hay <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> >1.) Commits MUST go to the master branch in the future. Thats were we
>> >collect fixes and new stuff.
>>

>> merging between branches is explicitly forbidden
>
> If you forbid this, how do you do the next one (2.) "fix stuff"? Surely
> you fix it first in the master branch? So then the fix is already under
> version control and your tool (git) will make less mistakes than humans.
> :-)

We will cherry-pick them to the release-branch.

> In FreeBSD for instance, you are not supposed to commit directly on a
> branch. You commit to head (master) and after some settling time and
> if it is deemed necessary, it may be merged.

The problem is that a merge always contains ALL commits of the branch
that is merged. But we don't want new features, we only want the
fixes.

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."