[Olsr-dev] mac80211 / link-bandwith from userland forcostcalculation / plugin

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Sep 14 08:14:20 CEST 2010

On Tue September 14 2010 08:09:05 Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Henning Rogge
>
> <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> >> (data rate, RSSI)
>
> Is RSSI really measured on different hardware the same? We tried do
> add this into reporting for our nodes but it simply looks like every
> driver/manufacturer uses this its own way. Will this be something
> mac80211 will unite/make comparable?
I am not sure what's the current state of RSSI measurement in mac80211, but
it's difficult to convert to a generic range because some chips are just
measuring really strange things.

> And of course the question is data rate and RSSI of what? Connection?
> Interface? Can some interface send to different clients with different
> data rate? What about in ad-hoc?
Outgoing datarate and incoming RSSI is always "per neighbor", at least if you
query them with the "iw station dump" command (or a similar nl80211 code)l.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE