[Olsr-dev] LinkQualityMult problems in 0.5.6-r5

Mitar (spam-protected)
Sun Sep 13 10:59:52 CEST 2009

Hi!

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> If you want to do a deployment with it we would be glad to support you. What
> kind of deployment do you have in mind ?

We are putting up a community WiFi network in Ljubljana, Slovenia. We
have been testing and developing it for some time now and now we are
getting ready for some larger deployment. So we are stabilizing
codebase and testing last unknowns.

You can check our network monitor and status here:

http://nodes.wlan-lj.net/

We have a web based firmware image generator so every user can get a
preconfigured image tailored for a particular node and also all nodes
status data is being collected centrally so users can monitor their
multiple nodes through this web page.

We use VPN to this central server for redundancy and easier deployment
on locations where there are no neighboring nodes (yet). And so many
of our nodes have WiFi and VPN interface.

But I have done some testing and I think that in our setup having the
same IP on multiple interfaces is not a problem because they are
interfaces of different physical mediums which are separated by their
nature and we just have to keep them separate. Because we do not
bridge all connections on a VPN server (but run OLSR there) nodes
cannot directly see each other at the same time over VPN server and
WiFi. So LQ calculations stay correct.

So we just have to take care not to bridge anything, don't we?

I understand that things would break if we would have for example a
node with two radios which would use same IP address. Then OLSR would
not be able to differ which LQ belongs to which radio it this node
would see some other node with both radios. (But even here you could
take care with using separate channels but it would get more
complicated than in our case of WiFi/VPN separation.)

>> For IPv4 we could probably use IPv4 link-local 169.254.0.0/16 range?
> Yes, just make sure that you don't have the same interface IP within two-hop
> range.

That will not be a problem as we can give/allocate nodes unique
link-local IP addresses the same as we are giving/allocate nodes
"global" IP addresses.

But how will this show up in OLSR topology? Will those link-local IP
addresses be seen? Or will just "global" IP addresses will be used
from a viewpoint of a network?

Mitar