[Olsr-dev] LinkQualityMult problems in 0.5.6-r5

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Sep 13 11:17:20 CEST 2009

Am Sonntag 13 September 2009 10:59:52 schrieb Mitar:
> > If you want to do a deployment with it we would be glad to support you.
> > What kind of deployment do you have in mind ?
>
> We are putting up a community WiFi network in Ljubljana, Slovenia. We
> have been testing and developing it for some time now and now we are
> getting ready for some larger deployment. So we are stabilizing
> codebase and testing last unknowns.
>
> You can check our network monitor and status here:
>
> http://nodes.wlan-lj.net/
>
> We have a web based firmware image generator so every user can get a
> preconfigured image tailored for a particular node and also all nodes
> status data is being collected centrally so users can monitor their
> multiple nodes through this web page.
Wow, that looks nice. :)
I think that's the first time I see such a image generator.

> We use VPN to this central server for redundancy and easier deployment
> on locations where there are no neighboring nodes (yet). And so many
> of our nodes have WiFi and VPN interface.
okay. :)

> But I have done some testing and I think that in our setup having the
> same IP on multiple interfaces is not a problem because they are
> interfaces of different physical mediums which are separated by their
> nature and we just have to keep them separate. Because we do not
> bridge all connections on a VPN server (but run OLSR there) nodes
> cannot directly see each other at the same time over VPN server and
> WiFi. So LQ calculations stay correct.
>
> So we just have to take care not to bridge anything, don't we?
Arg... I just remember some shortcomings of the current patch. Hope I did not
promise too much to you.

The current patch is a step towards a "linklocal-interface" OLSR network, but
I remember (now) there were some problems why we did not made the full step in
0.5.6. If you deploy the patch in a mixed setup (some with sourceip, some
without them), you cannot kill the MID messages because this will break legacy
support. If you have a pure sourceip-patch, you could (I think) just set the
TTL of the MIDs to 2, that would be enough.

At the moment the patch is just a modification in the set-route code to force
linux to use the originator-IP for outgoing IP-packages. This allows you to
run multiple OLSR networks on the same interfaces side-by-side.

(I have set Markus Kittenberg as CC, because he has written the source-ip
patch and can tell you more about it).

Henning Rogge