[Olsr-dev] Idea for a new plugin

Gregor G. (spam-protected)
Sat Mar 7 14:00:55 CET 2009

Henning Rogge schrieb:
> Hmm... I'm not sure I'm happy with the idea of communicating through
> textfiles. Could we directly communicate with the clients webbrowser through a
> socket (creating primitive http code with javascript and use the javascript
> sendxml code for getting stuff back) ?

The reason why i chose some sort of buffer (the textfiles) is that we
get a "history" of messages. When you start the client, it fetches all
messages from this buffer and scrolls down to the last message. If you
want to know what has been going on you just scroll up... (especially
convenient if there are any current problems in the net that have been
discussed before you entered the chat)
> I think we should brainstorm a little bit what are the minimum
> requirements we
> would like to have this chat programm. Especially in freifunk networks like
> Berlin/Vienna just putting everyone into the same chat will become a little
> bit "crowded". ;)

Well in Vienna´s chatroom there are seldom more than 6 people online at
the same time (if at all), so i don´t think that would be a problem. But
"private" rooms (which wouldn´t really be very private since all traffic
is unencrypted and spread to everyone) have been proposed nevertheless
;-) Don´t know about Germany though...
I think we should keep that option in mind for the design, but only
implement it if it is really needed...

Gregor

--
Partykeller