[Olsr-dev] OLSR IPs for node with multiple interfaces

Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Fri May 2 11:36:38 CEST 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 5:38 AM, David Murray wrote:

> I would agree with this. If you have two radios, you will want to use
> frequencies that are as far apart as possible. Also, I currently use
> OLSR with dual radios and all my interfaces are assigned IP addresses
> of 10.x.x.x/8. OLSR and Linux both seem happy with this.
>
> I noticed that Markus Kittenberger (in a previous post) was talking
> about their mesh in Vienna using 255.255.255.255 or /32 subnet masks.
> However, I did not understand the reasoning. If you have the time, I
> would be very interested in hearing why you do this.

this is a feature/bug in the linux tcp/ip stack.
basically when you have the broadcast addr 255^4 then olsr packets
with different source IPs from different networks (and netmasks)
still get accepted

a.