[Olsr-dev] OLSR IPs for node with multiple interfaces

Axel Neumann (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 30 13:07:16 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am currently working on a generic IP scheme for a mesh network based on
devices with multiple mesh interfaces.

For older olsrd versions there has been the "recommendation" to always use a
different netmask for each olsr interface of a node.
My question is whether this recommendation still applies to the recent olsrd
versions or if a new versions can also cope with a configuration like this:
ath0 10.0.0.1/16, ath1 10.0.0.2/16, eth0 10.0.0.3/16

If not, can somebody recommend me an interface configuration for a scenario
where a node is allowed to have more than one (radio) interface to the same
link ?

Currently we are using the olsrd coming with the latest kamikaze trunk (which
is 0.5.5). The thing is that sometimes it makes sense to have two ad-hoc
radio interfaces, configured with the same wireless setup (same
channel/bssid/essid), one of it with an omni and the other with a directional
antenna. But if I have to use different netmasks for the different interfaces
only those neighboring radios with an equal netmask will discover each other
(due to the different broadcast address). And this would imply a kind of
location-dependent network planning which I dont want in a mesh network.

thanks a lot
/axel