[Olsr-dev] OLSR IPs for node with multiple interfaces

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 30 13:20:31 CEST 2008

Am Mittwoch 30 April 2008 13:07:16 schrieb Axel Neumann:
> For older olsrd versions there has been the "recommendation" to always use
> a different netmask for each olsr interface of a node.
> My question is whether this recommendation still applies to the recent
> olsrd versions or if a new versions can also cope with a configuration like
> this: ath0 10.0.0.1/16, ath1 10.0.0.2/16, eth0 10.0.0.3/16
Linux (and most likely windows) wont like this.

Olsrd creates generic ip routes, so the kernel would be unable to determine
the outgoing interface for packets.

> If not, can somebody recommend me an interface configuration for a scenario
> where a node is allowed to have more than one (radio) interface to the same
> link ?
Just define one subnet for each channel. This way you don't need any kind
of "location dependent" information.

channel c:
  10.c.0.0/16

So you can just think about your net 10.0.0.0/8 splitted into 255 "channel"
subnets.

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)