[Olsr-dev] Multi-threaded plugin - access to olsrd data structures

Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Mon May 21 15:41:49 CEST 2007

On May 21, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Gianni Costanzi wrote:

> On 5/21/07, Bernd Petrovitsch <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 11:44 +0200, Gianni Costanzi wrote:
>> > should not be any problem, apart from being sure that the target
>> > machine supports the pthread library, or am I wrong?
>>
>> Yes, you are not wrong.
>> And you should be aware that there is no locking od concurrent access
>> whatsoever in the daemon AFAICS.
>
> Uh,,, this is quite bad for me.. I thought that there was some sort of
> locking mechanism (but being olsrd single-threaded now, it is
> unnecessary).. to protect data structures in case of concurrent
> accesses.. I'd like to be able to safely read the HNA information from
> within the thread started by my plugin without touching the olsrd core
> code..

Gianni:

bernd and me and Sebastian were discussing something very similar for
the whole routing tbl.
I think it would make sense if we can find a general better solution.
Maybe some olsrd-with-pthreads or so is ok?

how much space does the pthread libc take BTW?