[olsr-dev] Service discover

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 19 20:27:57 CEST 2006

Hi Thomas,

as Sven-Ola said, I did something very similar
recently on top of the nameservice plugin. It takes an
input like

LoadPlugin "olsrd_nameservice.so.0.2"
{
        PlParam "service"          "http://myname.olsr:80|tcp|description about me"
        PlParam "services-file"    "/var/etc/services"
[...other nameservice params...]
}

The separator is "|". The nameplugin floods a struct similar to this through the mesh:
int type
char *name
ipaddress

The name string includes the information. This can be a hostname or a
service as above, dependend on the type which is given. There where already
2 different types in the nameplugin (hostname and dns-forwarder), so I just
added a third one.

The service string is simply written to file, and can then be parsed e.g. by the
freifunk firmware. The string is also checked by a regex, so that the freifunk
firmware can check by means of port and tcpORudp if the service is
really available, otherwise you quickly have a "I wanted to offer this service"
instead of "I offer this service".

Originally I created an own plugin, but this created another 16KB. Since many
devices only have 2MB, Sven-Ola convinced me to make some changes to
the nameservice. I think this is a good idea, if one want to flood some
messages over the mesh.

I will post a url to the code later.

Regards,
Jens