[olsr-dev] Why padding to 4 bytes in nameservice plugin?

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Sun Apr 9 07:49:32 CEST 2006

Hi Jens,

Here are my $0.05.

Always padding to byte boudaries is a good rule when working with C
structures
and communications/interfacing. Different targets CPUs will have
different limitations
when it comes to memory access. Many processors will only allow you to
read write
32bit values at addresses that are divisible by 4 etc. And also
compilers on such targets
will automatically pad structures unless explicitly using "packed" et al.
So to avoid problems when interfacing between different architectures it
is a good idea
to pad to the next 32 bit offset, generally it saves one a lot of
trouble when working
only localy on such CPUs as well. Even on CPUs that allow access on none
4 byte boundaries
always padding to the next bondary makes for more effective code(memory
access) IMO.

Padding should be used in the nameservice msg simply because it is good
programming
style(IMO) and more important since there might be another name struct
following any
name struct.

- Andreas