[olsr-dev] Why padding to 4 bytes in nameservice plugin?

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Sun Apr 9 00:49:12 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I am extending the nameservice plugin at the moment (more on this if it is
finished).

The nameservice plugin does basically send a char* name over the network,
however all these char *name are padded to  bytes boundaries with somethiing
like

    for (k = name->len; (k & 3) != 0; k++)

I wonder if this necessary? Why is it padded to 4 bytes? Unfortunately, Bruno
(the author of these lines) is on a world trip, so I cannot ask him. Does
anybody of you know?

Regards,
Jens