[olsr-dev] olsrd secure plugin

Andreas Hafslund (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 23 11:57:13 CET 2005

> To be prepared for the things to come its always good to have options. One
> of these options will be the secure plugin - we may distribute the key via
> email just to make sure the database entry of a participant is correct. If
> rejecting HNAs is not an option, there are plenty of methods left for
> adjusted responses to administrative/technical problems anyhow.

If you need a key management protocol, you can check this out. It is called SKiMPy:

http://www.ifi.uio.no/dmms/papers/136.pdf

The key management protocol is added to the Secure OLSR plugin. The test results you can find in the technical report. I do not know if the source code is available, you will have to ask the author about that. SKiMPy is made in this project at the University here:

http://www.ifi.uio.no/dmms/project.php?project_id=6

> > The secure plugin only uses a SHA-1 hash function from openSSL as far as I
> > can remember. I just used the openSSL lib since it is the most widespread
> > lib for theese things. I think it's a good idea to use a much smaller lib,
> > (or perhaps include hashing code in the plugin?).

I am not sure if it is such a good idea to drop having a security library, and just including the hash code in the plugin. There are several other security mechanisms which will nevertheless be needing a security library and SSL functions.

andreas.