[Olsr-users] OLSR network routing question [Update]

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 22 15:25:39 CET 2017

(delayed answer because of busy week)

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Deepak Lal <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Update:
>
> I installed olsrd daemon instead of the olsrd2.
>
> Now all the routing tables seem fine and I am able to ping every host. I am running olsrd on both interfaces on the two mesh routers.
>
> It would be good to know why olsrd-2 in not behaving the same way and whether it is a bug.

I guess its not... I guess its a different default behavior you did not expect.

As a default, Olsrd (v1) propagates the IPs on ALL mesh interfaces.
Olsrd2 does not, it only propagates (by default) the chosen originator
address.

This goes back to the argument that a router should only need a single
routable IP address. multiple of them are not necessary, especially
not one for each interface... you want to talk with the router, not
with a specific interface of the router.

Could you try to add the following two lines to the config files of
all Olsrd2 instances?

[olsrv2]
     nhdp_routable      true

I would guess it will work after this... but I would not suggest doing it.

Instead I would suggest you put a single IP address ( a "/32 prefix" )
on the loopback interface and add the loopback interface to the list
of mesh interfaces. A preference logic in olsrd2 will make sure that
it selects the loopback IP if its available.

The advantage is that you now have a single IP for each router which
can be configured independently of interfaces and is always available
(even if one of your interfaces is down).