[Olsr-users] Flooding custom data in OLSRv2 networks

Martin Garbe (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 5 21:37:32 CEST 2016

On 07/05/2016 07:59 AM, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 12:10 AM, Martin Garbe
> <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we need a plugin similar to the OLSRv1 nameservice plugin for
>> OLSRv2/OONF, i.e. we want to flood key/value pairs (e.g. hostname :=
>> address) efficiently through our MANET.
>
> You need a service that distributes your DNS data.
>
> Flooding it every X seconds would never be an efficient solution.
>
>> Since we could not find an existing plugin which provides said
>> functionality, we think about writing it ourselves.
>>
>> Which way would you recommend for that? Writing a custom OONF plugin
>> that runs in parallel to OLSRv2 or extending OLSRv2 for that?
>
> I would suggest looking into HNCP (HomeNet Configuration Protocol).
> The current iteration is not well adapted for mobile networks, but the
> rest of the protocol is sound.

I now understand that this is a fundamental change between OLSRv1 and
v2. OLSRv2 is only used for distributing routing information. All other
data distribution has to be done by another sparated service. some kind
of piggyback is not possible. From conceptual point of view this makes
absolutely sense.

We will have a look into HNCP again. Until now I hoped that we do not
need an additional distribution service but now I see the need for it.

Thanks for your help and time.
Martin