[Olsr-users] olsrd on Android

Dan O'Keeffe (spam-protected)
Tue May 26 11:44:44 CEST 2015

Hey Henning,

On 26/05/15 10:05, Henning Rogge wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would suggest looking into the
>
> /android/README file, it contains newer instructions.

OK, thanks. By the way, regarding the Commotion Mesh Tether app
described in those instructions, the link supplied just takes me to a
Drupal installation page (i.e. it's a dead link).

> Main "gotcha" for android is the lack of Wifi Adhoc-Mode on most
> android phones. https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=82

So by default it requires root access and/or some kind of kernel
configuration/hacking to get it to work? The instructions in
/android/README don't contain any information about this. If further
modifications are required to the android device, can you by any chance
point me to some resources describing the modifications needed? For
example, would the instructions on the olsrd android page involving
wpa-supplicant still work? Or is it very much device dependent?

Also, when you say "on most Android phones", are you aware of a list of
phones on which it is available? For example, since Android 14 there is
a p2p wifi api for Android
(http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/wifip2p.html).
If this works on a phone is it likely that olsrd would too? Also, is
there any way olsrd could somehow use this
API directly (if not now, perhaps in the future)?

> If an android app has access to network, it should be able to connect
> to the txtinfo port... of course using the jsoninfo plugin might be
> easier for automatic parsing.

Great. Apologies for bombarding you with questions!

Thanks,
Dan