[Olsr-users] olsrd2 with vmware,

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Mar 4 11:02:06 CET 2015

Hi,

you can try to compile the "olsrd2_sliver" application, which is olsrd2 for VMs.

**add todo list** add documentation for olsrd2_sliver target

try "make olsrd2_sliver_static" and you should get an executable
without the nl80211_listener plugin (verify with "olsrd2_sliver_static
--version").

Henning

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Taner Kurtulus <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi Henning,
>
> Thanks for your valuable help.
>
> I have tested with just olsrd2_static eth1 and everything worked fine.
>
> In my first trials, I disabled plugin which uses libnl to compile it. Since
> I don't  use wifi, I thought that I don't need it. But it didn't work with
> this simple command (olsrd2_static eth1) than I added the other parameters.
> However it didn't work. Than, I thought  that it would be because of libnl.
> Than I compiled with libnl, but I didn't test again with that simple command
> (olsrd2_static eth1).  After your advise, I checked and it worked. Thanks
> again.
>
> After working the first scenario, I tried my real need which is about
> choosing the best link in terms of bandwidth and reliability.
> Here is my real need, which is choosing the best route, and dynamically
> change when the conditions change.  I believe OLSRv2 can handle my need.
>

> 10.0.1.1   < -  2 Mbps - > 10.0.1.2   10.0.2.2    < -  2 Mbps - > 10.0.2.3
>   A                B                C
> 10.0.3.1   < -                   128 kbps  %5 loss                        -
>> 10.0.3.3
>
> After, using olsrv2 I would like to reach C from A via B. But it chooses
> direct link which is 128 kbps.

Without any source to tell olsrd2 the linkspeed the A-C link is better
than A-B plus B-C.

You can try the linkconfig plugin:
http://www.olsr.org/mediawiki/index.php/Link_Config_Plugin

> But, when I run the scenario, it didn't worked in the way I want. Could you
> help me about configuring the olsrd2 to make my scenario work.
>
> By the way, there is an other strange behavior about routing table.  Such
> that OLSR adds its own IP addres into the routing table with a next hop
> destined to other machine.
>
>                                      Destination      Gateway   Dev
> At machine A, it added  10.0.3.1          10.0.1.2    eth1
> At machine B, it added  10.0.2.2          10.0.2.3    eth4
> At machine C, it added  10.0.3.3          10.0.2.2    eth2

If you run olsrd2 only with the "eth1" parameter, it should not set
any other interfaces...

> you can note that Destination addresses are actually their own addresses. In
> practice there is no problem because operating system doesn't use those
> routing table entries. I think, it would be nice to not add them into the
> routing table.

Can you post the three commands you used to start olsrd?