[Olsr-users] Question on multiple interfaces

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Aug 5 12:52:47 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Thijs van Veen <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Effectively, what I'm trying to get is a network entity similar to the one described in http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

OLSR (both v1 and v2) do not set routes to external (non-OLSR)
networks, they just can announce the existence of these links to the
network (and in v2, they can attach a cost to them).

If you have a node that is connected to TWO internet providers, both
routes will be "default routes" (0.0.0.0/0 or ::/0). This means the
decision which to use is either local (and outside OLSR) or you need
some additional information that the clients can select the outgoing
interface.

If your local router has two IP addresses, you could use each of them
as an endpoint for a tunnel for example, or you could use
source-specific routing (we are discussing this in the IETF Homenet
group at the moment).

>> But it does work well with our OLSRd v2 implementation.
>
> How was this improved for v2 ?

NHDP (the Hello-part of OLSRv2) has a more exact specification than
the one in OLSRv1. It also combines Hellos and MIDs into one message.
Together with the src-ip and the "incoming interface" you can deal
with the situation more easily.

In fact, the "two interface see one interface" is one of the examples
in the NHDP document (RFC 6130).

We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered
long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to
set sail for the stars - Carl Sagan