[Olsr-users] Question on multiple interfaces

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Aug 2 19:14:10 CEST 2013

I would say OLSR knows because it knows the incoming (local)
interface. Of course seeing the same neighbor link on two interfaces
is a bit unusual so I am not sure it will work well with our
implementation.

But it does work well with our OLSRd v2 implementation.

Henning Rogge

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Thijs van Veen <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a small question (based on the RFC
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3626) regarding multiple interface nodes.
>
> Given the following network with node A having 3 interfaces, 2 of which
> are connected to B (single interface) and the other connected to C. B
> and C are connected and all links are symmetric.
>
> +----------------+
> |       A         |
> |  if.0 if.1 if.2 |
> +----------------+
>    \   /     /
>      B -- C
>
> Paths from A to B are:
> A.if.0 -> B
> A.if.1 -> B
> A.if.2 -> C -> B
>
> When considering the link A <-> B, will OLSR distinguish between the
> links if.0 <-> B and if.1 <-> B?
>
> To me the RFC suggests it only considers the faster link (judging from
> HELLO processing on A):
>
> From the RFC 3.4. Packet Processing and Message Flooding:
> "3.1  if there exists a tuple in the duplicate set, where:
>
>                              D_addr    == Originator Address, AND
>
>                              D_seq_num == Message Sequence Number
>
>                then the message has already been completely processed
>                and MUST not be processed again.
> "
> So only the first link is considered, because while received on
> different interfaces, both messages have the same originator address and
> sequence number causing the latter to be ignored;
>
> Or, if the message is not ignored.
>
> From the RFC, 7.1. Populating the Link Set:
> "1    Upon receiving a HELLO message, if there exists no link tuple
>           with
>
>                L_neighbor_iface_addr == Source Address
>
>           a new tuple is created with
>
>                L_neighbor_iface_addr = Source Address
>
>                L_local_iface_addr    = Address of the interface
>                                        which received the
>                                        HELLO message
>
>                L_SYM_time            = current time - 1 (expired)
>
>                L_time                = current time + validity time
>
> 2   The tuple (existing or new) with:
>
>                L_neighbor_iface_addr == Source Address
>
>           is then modified as follows:
>
>           2.1  L_ASYM_time = current time + validity time;
>
>           2.2  if the node finds the address of the interface which
>                received the HELLO message among the addresses listed in
>                the link message then the tuple is modified as follows:
>
>            2.2.1
>                     if Link Type is equal to LOST_LINK then
>
>                          L_SYM_time = current time - 1 (i.e., expired)
>
>           2.2.2
>                     else if Link Type is equal to SYM_LINK or ASYM_LINK
>                     then
>
>                          L_SYM_time = current time + validity time,
>
>                          L_time     = L_SYM_time + NEIGHB_HOLD_TIME
>
>           2.3  L_time = max(L_time, L_ASYM_time)
> [...]
> "
> Only the first link is considered and for longer, because the latter
> message (sent from same interface) has not been ignored and modifies the
> [...]

We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingered
long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to
set sail for the stars - Carl Sagan