[Olsr-users] Subnet settings of NICs and mobility

Vigneswaran R (spam-protected)
Mon Sep 24 11:14:34 CEST 2012

Hello Henning,

I have a question based on your reply to the thread[1]. However, it is
not related to the problem discussed there.

> They have the same network address and netmask (all three have
> 10.0.0.0/8). This cannot work, the routing code will not know where to
> send packets.
>
> You have to give each interface its own unique network range.
> (e.g. 10.1.0.0/16, 10.2.0.0/16, 10.3.0.0/16)
[1] <https://lists.olsr.org/pipermail/olsr-users/2012-September/005264.html>

You mean all the NICs of a single machine should be in different subnets
for OLSR to establish routes properly, right?

In that case, while connecting two machines, if the NICs being part of
the link have different subnet settings, will OLSR establish route?
(assume that this connection happened due to node movement).

+-----------------+        +-----------------+
|eth0: 10.1.1.1/16|        |eth1: 10.2.1.2/16|
|                 |        |                 |
|      Node1      |        |      Node2      |
|eth1: 10.2.1.1/16|<------>|eth0: 10.1.1.2/16|

When we tried the above setup a couple of months back, routes were not
established :-(. So, we used 10.0.0.0/8 for all our NICs and found
working. (However, as a side effect PIMd was not working -- that is
another story).

Please suggest.

Regards,
Vignesh