[Olsr-users] Recommendation for maintaining accurate local times on nodes?

Ben West (spam-protected)
Sat Mar 3 01:11:16 CET 2012

I'm running OLSR v0.6.1 packaged with OpenWRT 10.03.1 on a collection of
Ubiquiti M5 access points (Rocket, Bullet, Nanostation, Nano Loco).

All radios have /etc/init.d/ntpdate service enabled on boot to sync local
time to a remote NTP server, although this only succeeds on non-gateway
nodes if OLSRd (also enabled on boot) finds and sets a default route before
ntpdate times out.

In the case where ntpdate does time out before setting a node's local time,
I've noticed letting that node operate as-is in the mesh can cause other
nodes to lose their default route.  Presumably from the non-sync'ed node
sending out HNA's with bad timestamps?  Is this expected OLSR behavior?

Besides simply letting ntpdate run on all nodes as an hourly or daily cron
job, would anyone have other recommendations on keeping all nodes' local
time synced?

--
Ben West
(spam-protected)